Commit to Donate
Do you have questions about how to donate a car to charity? Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the car donation process. If you don’t find the information you need here, please feel free to call our toll free number 800-816-2788.
- How long will it take for my vehicle to be picked up?
- Is my car donation tax deductible?
- What type of vehicles do you accept as donations?
- What paperwork do I need to donate my vehicle?
- My car hasn’t run in years. Can I still donate it?
- Do you pick up vehicles nationwide?
- How do I calculate the value of my donated vehicle?
- How will my car be picked up?
- How can I schedule a pickup?
How long will it take for my vehicle to be picked up?
We can normally pick up your car within a few days. If you need your car picked up sooner, please call and we will try to make arrangements to fit your schedule.
Is my car donation tax deductible?
Vehicles donated on this site will benefit Local Charities classified with the IRS as 501(c)(3) charitable organizations and are tax deductible. For more information, you can check out A Donor’s Guide to Vehicle Donations(pdf).
What type of vehicles do you accept as donations?
We accept most cars, trucks, vans, fleet vehicles, trailers, boats, motorcycles, and RV”s. If you have any questions about what you can donate, please send us an email DonateMyVehicles.org or call us toll-free at 800-816-2788
What paperwork do I need to donate my vehicle?
In most cases we need the title to the vehicle. But, if you do not have title papers call us anyway; other arrangements can sometimes be worked out. You may contact us by submitting our Car Donation Form or by calling us toll-free at 800-816-2788
My car hasn’t run in years. Can I still donate it?
Yes, we are able to accept most vehicles whether they run or not (exceptions include older or damaged vehicles whose value would not offset the cost of towing). To find out if we can accept your vehicle, please complete and submit our online donation form.
Do you pick up vehicles nationwide?
Yes, we can pick up most vehicles throughout the continental US.
We accept Vehicle donations from all the following states:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington
How do I calculate the value of my donated vehicle?
Car donation tax laws in effect as of Jan. 1st, 2005
Your car donation to an IRS approved 501(c)3 charity is still tax deductible and will fall into one of these categories:
- For low value vehicle donations you can claim the fair market value up to $500.00 without any additional paperwork besides the receipt we will provide at the time of the pickup. If you donate a car that is worth more then $500.00, your deduction will be limited to the actual sale price of your car donation. If your vehicle is sold, all proceeds will benefit local 501(c) charities. We will provide you with a receipt stating the final sales price of your vehicle within 30 days of the sale of your donated car. We will work to get top dollar for your car donation. For cars that are good running order that we can specifically use for our charitable projects or if we can significantly improve your vehicle before it is sold then you can generally claim your car’s fair market value. Please call us at 800-816-2788 if you want to verify if this would be the case for your car donation. If your donated vehicle is used by for charitable purposes or if it is improved before the sale, we will provide you with a receipt specifying this exception so that you can claim the fair market value of your car donation.
- What percentage of proceeds will the charity receive?
This is an important question, and one you’ll want to consider carefully. Because some agents deduct much higher fees than others before arriving at a “net proceeds” figure, the figure from which the donation amount is determined, you can not simply compare donation agents on the “percentage” figure alone.THIS IS A MISUNDERSTANDING INTO WHICH MANY CHARITIES AND DONORS FALL, AND A FIGURE THAT APPEARS TO BE DECEPTIVELY HIGH IN SOME CASES.
- A donation vehicle sells for $100. Donation Center A deducts $60 in fees and then pays the charity 70% of net proceeds or $28.
Donation Center B deducts $30 in fees, and then pays the charity 50% of net proceeds, or $35.
- AS YOU CAN SEE, THE DONATION CENTER THAT PASSES ON 50% OF NET PROCEEDS ACTUALLY GIVES THE CHARITY MORE MONEY THAN THE AGENT THAT PASSES ON 70% BECAUSE OF A LOWER FEE STRUCTURE. Donate My Vehicles has agent fees associated with each donation vehicle which are fees that basically cover fixed costs like towing, auction fees, and minor repairs. We are the company that passes on 50% of a larger amount. Charities appreciate this and our donors understand the benefits too.
Help make a difference and give to those in need – donate my Vehicle to a local charity. For each vehicle donation contributed, Donate My Vehicles will offer the best tax benefits.
How will my car be picked up?
We will arrange to have your vehicle towed free of charge at a scheduled time.
How can I schedule a pickup?
Please complete and submit our Car Donation Form or call us toll free at 800-816-2788.